New Zealand Trade and Enterprise (NZTE) is the New Zealand Government’s international business development agency. Our focus is to help companies thrive internationally.
Our purpose is simple: to grow companies internationally — bigger, better, faster — for the benefit of New Zealand.
What we can do for you
Boost your global reach and market knowledge
We can assist you with extending your global reach through our international contacts all around the world. With people in 48 locations across the globe, and a network that extends even further we can help you grow globally.
Whether it’s opening doors to public and private sector contacts, using our extensive network of staff, industry leaders, or expatriate New Zealanders, we’ve got it covered.
You can also gain access to valuable tips on doing business in different markets — from cultural do’s and don’ts to regulations, export statistics and market intelligence.
Our in-market support
- 7 regions
- 39 languages
- 41 international offices
- 240 private sector advisors
- 260 offshore NZTE advisors
Develop your business potential
Enhancing the potential of your business and your team is a crucial part of being competitive in the global marketplace.
To help set you up for success, we focus on four core areas of your business:
- Strengthening your business
- Increasing your sales
- Strengthening your governance
- Undeerstanding your customers
By partnering with NZTE, you will have access to a highly innovative range of services that are proven to be successful, giving you the tools and skills you need to enhance your business, improve productivity, and take on the world.
Many of our services are free of charge or have a subsidised fee.
Getting to know you
Every business is different and faces unique challenges and opportunities.
- First up, we ask before we advise. Getting the flavour of your business from the outside in helps us understand how best to help you grow your business internationally.
- From there, we work out what level of support we’ll be able to offer you in New Zealand or across the world. This may be as simple as pointing you in the right direction or offering expert advice. It could also develop into a long-term partnership with a tailored plan, and regular interaction with on-the-ground experts based in our international offices.
- We can also connect you to the wider network of business support here in New Zealand, including groups of companies just like yours.
The help we can give you will vary depending on your company’s export readiness, export performance and willingness to work with us. We work with around 4,000 businesses from all over New Zealand, and focus more intensively on 700 companies who have the drive and ambition to succeed internationally.
We work with individual companies, of all sizes across all sectors and also groups of companies collaborating together to achieve international growth.
Examples of how we've helped companies
Here are some ways we have helped businesses achieve their exporting goals:
Launching a new product
A fresh produce provider wanted to build on its success in New Zealand by tapping into the Japanese market.
Using research we completed for them through our Tokyo office, the company developed a new product specifically for the Japanese market and local consumer tastes. The company continues to work closely with us to expand their presence in Japan and into other Asian markets.
Entering a new market
An experienced food and beverage exporter sought NZTE’s help to explore the potential for its new product range in an unfamiliar market.
We worked with the company on its Scandinavian market entry strategy by researching the size of the opportunity and providing feedback from key retailers on the product, price and packaging. We arranged meetings with interested retailers, and accompanied the company to them. This helped the company finalise its go-to-market strategy, fast tracked their market entry and helped open up new markets for future growth.
Getting strategic direction and better governance
When a company that had been working with us for a long time questioned their strategic direction, we helped run a two-day workshop to develop a clear plan to realise the additional potential in their existing products. They then also identified the need for guidance at a governance level, and we worked with the company to help identify a suitable chairperson for their Board.
Just starting to export?
We have a range of resources on our website that will help you reach your goals.
- How-to guides for exporting
- Market research
- Expert insights via our articles, videos and our blogs.
- Export Ready Questionnaire
NZTE does not have a standalone funding or grants programme. Co-funding may be available to businesses working closely with NZTE, and is granted as part of a planned package of services.
Companies already working intensively with NZTE and receiving targeted and tailored support may be able to access co-funding for specific international projects that go beyond ‘business as usual’ to deliver significant benefit for the company and for the wider New Zealand economy. This funding is granted on a co-funding basis, and businesses that receive funding need to at least match the level of investment that NZTE makes. Government changes to the co-funding ratio and other aspects of this funding took effect on 1 July 2015.
NZTE’s service support includes assisting companies with their capital strategy. If you are interested in finding out more about partnering with NZTE, please contact us. Many of our services are free of charge or have a subsidised fee.
Other sources of funding
There are a number of ways you can fund your business growth plans. You can find information about sources of capital on our website, and there are other organisations in New Zealand that support business growth, such as:
- The Regional Business Partners network - specialist business advisors provide advice, information, referrals and connections to any business seeking support for their growth journey. If you have aspirations to grow your business you might also be eligible for a NZTE Capability Development Voucher, which is offered through the Regional Business Partners network.
- Callaghan Innovation - supports the commercialisation of innovation by firms in New Zealand and funds business research and development.
- The Export Credit Office - sells Government-backed trade credit insurance and financial guarantees to help New Zealand exporters manage their repayment risk, secure international sales and offer extended repayment terms.
Our NZ Inc partners
We work alongside our NZ Inc partners within government and the business community to protect and build credibility in our national brand - helping businesses to open doors in global markets.
The government agencies we work with most closely are the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT), the Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI), Education New Zealand, the New Zealand Export Credit Office, and Callaghan Innovation.